December 2, 2010

Bits and pieces

I'm back!

I know, I was greatly missed.

I know I also have a lot of catching up to do.

Shame I missed the whole election cycle in October and November.

I do have a few thoughts on that.

Mainly, the amount that was spent.

The best guess estimates from the 2010 midterm election cycle peg this one at $3.98 billion and still counting.

That's right, billion.

That makes this the most expensive midterm, ever.

If this doesn't turn a Christian off to the political process, I really don't know what will.

$3.98 billion dollars spent. To elect what?

Just think about what could have been done with that money. Even half of it.

Please don't shovel me the crap that the "good guys" are in control now. There are none in politics. If you believe that, please stop singing "A Mighty Fortress". Especially the part about not trusting in princes.

If you have donated money to a particular candidate or political party, or PAC. Please stop.

Your local parish, mission project, missionary, or food pantry could do so much more with that money.

Bonus! You also can get a tax deduction and there are no contribution limits.

OK, enough of that.

On to other things.

Stayed tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Politics, with the obvious corrupting nature of all the money involved, has a hold on the modern imagination the likes of which I just don't understand. As you say, one would think Christians would be a little more clear in their view that there are more important things in life than partisan politics. It reminds me of the place that astrology had in the life of even educated men in the renaissance and reformation eras. Martin Chemnitz (being a student of Melanchthon) was quite good at making horoscopes. Eventually he concluded, however, that it just is not as ultimnately satisfying as the word of God.

    ReplyDelete